Auditions for Actors and Actresses
A casting call for a new stage play, Urban Wine will take place Sunday, October 7, 2010 at 1515 Broadway in downtown Detroit between the hours of 2:00pm and 6:00pm. Auditions are by appointment only. Production date is TBD most likely in January 2013.
A convicted murderer and former drug lord serving a natural life sentence for murder, receives a letter from his old high school sweetheart whose now a writer, working on a story of what society calls a dying breed which is the black man. After several letters, phone calls and visits, Kato falls in love with Moon and decides to re-open his case.
- Kato: Lead Role – African American – Mid 30’s to early 40’s (or can look it) Kato counsels the young men within the prison system throughout the state of Michigan. He’s a self- educated and reformed Malcolm X type of character looking for atonement for his life’s actions as a killer and drug dealer from the streets of southwest Detroit. (Very dramatic role.)
- Moon: Lead Role – African American – Mid 30’s to early 40’s (or can look it) is a Writer and Community Activist. Moon is very passionate about raising awareness on the current condition of the Southwest Detroit community. Much to her surprise, she finds herself becoming emotionally involved with Kato. (Role has already been cast, but willing to accept understudies.)
- Freedom: Lead Role – African American – Early 20’s, is Kato’s cell mate and student serving a three year sentence. Freedom looks up to Kato like an older brother but, his arrogance soon gets him into more trouble than he can handle. (Role has already been cast, but willing to accept understudies)
- Tracey: Supporting Role – African American – mid 30’s to early 40’s is Moon’s best friend. Tracey is a caring person and is very protective of Moon. Tracey is a bit apprehensive about the nature of Moons relationship to Kato.
- Ripp: Supporting Role – Mid 30’s, is a slick talking self-centered villain who wants to over throw Kato’s reign within the prison. Ripp will do anything to gain power & control over the other inmates. (Role has already been cast, but willing to accept understudies)
- Officer Gibbs: Caucasian Male – Early 30’s, is a Correctional Officer who rules his unit with an iron fist. Gibbs is known for his sarcastic and no nonsense approach throughout his career at the prison.
- Frankie: Early 20’s – Kato’s victim and childhood friend.
- Pregnant Woman: Mid to late 20’s – Kato’s victim.
- Inmate Jones: Teenager – Young boy convicted of murder.
This is a paying gig based on experience level and size of role.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying and to reserve your audition spot, please email your headshot and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: We will be casting by the end of the month.