Casting Lead and Supporting Cast for Indie Film
Auditions are being held for the 30-minute independent film, “My good friend, Gwen”. This is an exciting film for me to make as it is the first film outside of college that will be solely written and directed by myself. We have a strong crew and our equipment is as close to a professional production as a just out of college budget can offer. I have had experience on 5 minute, 10 minute, 15 minute and 30 minute films, but this will easily be the most professionally polished that I’ve made.
Shooting is scheduled for July 14th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, 30th and 31st. We may also have pick up days on the last two Fridays if we are behind schedule. I look forward to hearing from all the actors who are interested in the story and the characters and I hope to hear from you soon!
Friday, June 29th
Michigan State University
Snyder Phillips Hall
East Lansing, MI 48825
Donald is a teacher’s assistant for the creative writing program at his graduate university, though Donald himself is not part of the graduate program. He is under qualified with his professional writing undergrad, and so he is writing an entrance piece in order to prove himself. He is suffering from writer’s block, trying to capture his emotions about his brother who died months prior in his entrance piece. At the same time, he has to go to an apprenticeship with the elitist creative writing TA’s in order to learn from them before he is accepted into their program. After being invited to a party by his students in his recitation class, he must decide whether he is willing to move past his brother’s death and befriend his good-natured class, or continue living his lonely life by himself.
- Donald: (Male lead, ages 25-30) A young graduate teacher’s assistant who is struggling with a piece of fiction that he needs to write to enter into the creative writing program at his university. This character is very much the every man of the story, and requires both strong dramatic and comedic timing. (THIS ROLE REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A BEARD WHICH YOU ARE WILLING TO CUT DURING THE FIRST SCENE OF THE FILM)
- Gwen: (Female lead, ages 20-22) A student in Donald’s recitation class who is a master of the deadpan expression, but who occasionally breaks out a smile. This role requires strong subtle acting as well as comedic timing.
- Professor Morris: (Ages 45-60) An older professor who is a bit aloof. A stickler for the rules but is also very supportive of Donald. This part is open to both male and female actors.
- Paul: (Ages 25-28) A dirty and slightly delusional punk who walks about the streets of the university asking people to sign a petition to bring casinos to the town. He is very much a caricature.
- Jeff: (Ages 20-22) An anxiety ridden, nerdy type student in Donald’s recitation class. He is constantly under prepared for class, and is often the butt of the joke of each scene he is in. Also another caricature which acts as a foil to Donald’s straight man.
- Brett, Taylor and Matt: (Ages 25-28) The other TA’s for the creative writing undergraduate program. They are elitist intellectuals who think everything written is a reference to some other classical literature piece. Taylor is the nicest to Donald, while Matt is the most frustrated with Donald’s lack of experience.
- Mary, Garret, Jacob, James: (Ages 20-22) Students in Donald’s recitation class. James has a beard and is deadpan sarcastic. Mary is snobbish. Garret is a college bro. Jacob doesn’t like Mary.
- Extras: This film also requires extras for a bar scene and a house party scene. Any and all interested are welcome to help.
Compensation will be negotiable dependent on the responsibility of the role and the experience of the actor. I will try my best to somehow compensate everyone, but as I’ve just graduated from college myself, I can guarantee anything too extravagant.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying, please email your headshot and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Please include the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email. If you are unable to attend the audition and would like to act in this film, please make a video of a monologue piece.