Independent Feature Film – Drama/Mocudrama
Nouning Productions is holding open auditions for a non-union, independent feature film titled, “Masks in the Sun”. Auditions will be held in Marshall, Michigan. Shooting starts February 18, 2012 and ends May 19, 2012.
Audition & Call Back Details:
Saturday, February 4, 2012, 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Sunday, February 5, 2012, 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Saturday, February 11, 2012, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
514 S. Kalamazoo St.
Marshall, MI 49068
Saturday, February 11, 2012, 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Sunday, February 12, 2012, 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Under the direction of small town community leader Marla Larson, five local stage actors are drafting an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.
Being a local advocate for elderly persons, Marla’s goal has for a long time been to create a play that focuses on the social problem of the financial exploitation of the elderly. In particular, she has for some time been obsessed with the idea of turning the Dickens story on its head to do so.
All is not, though, as it might at first appear. While the actors are working together to create their adaptation, Marla is cleverly guiding their efforts to other, secret ends.
Within their small town, a conspiracy is brewing to unseat Marla’s husband Judge Tom Larson from his seat on the bench and replace him with a local attorney. Under Marla’s careful direction, the group’s adaptation is being crafted into a not-too-thinly veiled exposure of these and other nefarious goings-on. In making the plotters aware they have been and are being watched, Marla’s goal is to make them cease and desist from their conspiracy against her family.
All the while, there are unknown forces working towards other ends Marla cannot understand.
The main story line of this film has two interwoven parts: (1) the “real life story” about a group of actors creating a play, and (2) the play they are constructing itself. The film’s screenplay will require three actors to play two separate roles, one as a “real life story” character, and the other as a character in the play his or her character is helping produce.
- Marla Larson: 50s, is the wife of a local judge and a leading volunteer in her community. Among the different causes Marla works for is that of preventing the abuse and financial exploitation of older persons. One of her other passions is community theater, in which she has decades of experience as both an actor and director.
- Tys Kruge (ties kroog-eh): 60s or 70s, is a retired policeman and part-time private investigator. Along with Marla Larson, the writers are ostensibly basing his character, Gene Carter, on Scrooge.
- Paul Siegrist: 40 +/-, is a local dentist. He is creating a character named Brian Weller, an associate of local lawyer Mark Wensel. Paul carries much of narrative load onstage and in voiceover.
- Pam Wells: 25-35, works for the US Department of Defense. Her character is Tammy Carter, the niece of a man with Alzheimer’s type symptoms. Pam is a single mother, recently divorced and raising two young boys. Her character Tammy is manipulating her uncle Gene and other go get his money.
- Mike Brannigan: 25-35, is a groundskeeper at a local cemetery. He is creating a character named Mark Wensel, a local attorney helping Lisa to fleece her uncle. Mike is divorced from Lisa (Birken) Brannigan and they have a young girl named Brianna Brannigan. Mike is romantically interested in Pam Wells.
- Lisa Brannigan: 25-35, works as a clerk at a frame shop. She is the ex-wife of Mike Brannigan, the mother of Brianna Brannigan, and the niece newly financial guardian of a man with Alzheimer’s disease. She is also the lover of both Judge Tom Larson and attorney Jack Wells.
- Allison Carter: 25-35, works at home. She is the daughter-in-law of Gene Carter and the wife of Nick Carter.
- Brianna Brannigan: 6, is the daughter of Mike Brannigan and Lisa Brannigan.
- Ellie Bozeman: 7, is the daughter of Tammy Carter. She has some sort of disability.
- Nick Carter: 25-35, is Gene’s son and Allison’s husband. He may also play the part of Gene’s Father (Marley’s Ghost).
- Judge Tom Larson: 50s, is the husband of Marla Larson, father of David Larson, and secret lover of Lisa Brannigan.
- Jodie Siegrist: 35-40, is the wife of dentist Paul Siegrist and the mother of Tyler and Annabel Siegrist.
- Tyler Siegrist: 9, and Annabel Siegrist, 8, are the children of Paul and Jodie Siegrist.
- Jacob Wells: 8, and Nathan Wells, 6, are the sons of Pam Wells.
- Young Man (Political Canvasser), 20
- Male Figure at Party
- Dancing Woman at Party, 25-35
- Guest One at Party, Male, 30+
- Guest Two at Party, Female, 30+
- Someone (Pam’s Dream), Male or Female, 20 +
- Rapper, Male, 20s
- Person in a Mask
- Masked Male Figure in Apartment
- Unmasked Woman, 30 -60
- Kids at Party, 6 or more, 6 -12
- Boy, 12 – Reading Alone
- Girl, 8 – Painted with Cat Face, Silent
- Tammy’s Friend, Female, 25-35, Wins a Party Game
- Running Woman, 25-35, Dodging a Drunken Fool
- Visitor Three – A silent spirit like Dicken’s Ghost of Christmas Past
- Lawyer One – Listens to Policemen One and Two
- Lawyer Two – Listens to Policemen One and Two
- Policeman One – Discussing a Former Officer
- Policeman Two – Discussing a Former Officer
- Teenage Girl in Nursing Home, 12 -15 – Answers Gene’s Question
- Boy in Nursing Home, 6-12 – Answers Gene’s Question
- Party Extras – Marla’s
- Party Extras – Tammy’s
- Jack Wells, 50s, is a local attorney who is plotting with his lover Lisa Brannigan to remove Judge Tom Larson from the bench and take his place. He is the grandfather to Pam Wells’ children.
- David Larson, 30, the son of Marla and Judge Tom Larson.
None, directly. Strong career support, counseling, and connections.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying please email your resume to Donna Daines at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Please include the role or roles you are interested in applying for in the subject line of your email. Also include in your email the best dates and times for an audition (more than less please). After we receive your email, you will be directed to the proper sides and other information for the role you will be auditioning to play.