Open Audition Casting for “Hairspray”
Warren Civic Theatre is holding open auditions for adults and children August 23rd through 29th for the Tony Award winning Best Musical Hairspray, at the Warren Community Center.
Hairspray delights audiences by sweeping them away to 1960’s Baltimore, where the 50’s are out — and change is in the air. Loveable, plus-size, heroine Tracy Turnblad has a passion for dancin’, and wins a spot on the local TV dance program, The Corny Collins Show. Over-night she finds herself transformed from outsider to teen celebrity. Can a larger-than-life adolescent manage to vanquish the program’s reigning princess, integrate the television show, and find true love (singing and dancing all the while, of course!) without mussing her hair?
Performances will be held in the theatre of the Warren Community Center and are scheduled for October 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, and 31.
- Rehearsals will be Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time to fill out information forms.
- EVERONE is expected to sing and dance in this show.
- If you’d like to be considered for singing SOLO, prepare a brief section of a song (15 to 30 seconds) that shows your range and abilities OR be ready to sing a song that we’ll teach you.
- If you’d like to be considered for a featured dance role, you must also sign up for a dance audition. (Wear shoes and clothing you can dance in.)
- We may ask you to read something from the script.
Callbacks are Monday, August 30, 6pm to 10pm. Please be available for consideration for a major role.
Warren Community Center
5460 Arden Drive
Warren, MI 48092
- Tracy Turnblad – A “pleasantly plump” teenager, who dreams of fame and fights to racially integrate The Corny Collins Show.
- Edna Turnblad – Tracy’s kind, plus-sized mother – a drag role. Edna runs a laundry business out of her home.
- Amber Von Tussle – Bratty, selfish resident princess of The Corny Collins Show, despite her lack of talent. She is willing to do anything to win the Miss Teenage Hairspray pageant.
- Velma Von Tussle – Amber’s scheming mother and producer of The Corny Collins Show, who pushes her daughter to seek the stardom that she never had.
- Penny Pingleton – Tracy’s slightly dorky, devoted and perky best friend.
- Link Larkin – A teenage heartthrob and one of The Corny Collins Show Council Members, who falls in love with Tracy.
- Motormouth Maybelle – The owner of a downtown record shop and the host of “Negro Day” on The Corny Collins Show, self-described as “big, blonde and beautiful”.
- Seaweed J. Stubbs – A hip “Negro Day” dancer and the son of Motormouth Maybelle who falls in love with Penny.
- Wilbur Turnblad – Tracy’s goofy father, who owns the Har-De-Har Hut joke shop and is still madly in love with his wife, Edna. He encourages Tracy to follow her dreams.
- Corny Collins – The eccentric and cocky host of The Corny Collins Show.
- Little Inez – Seaweed’s younger sister, who tries to audition for The Corny Collins Show but is turned away because she is black.
- Female Authority Figure – The Matron guarding The Big Dollhouse; the Gym Teacher; and Prudy Pingleton, Penny’s overprotective and often close-minded mother.
- Male Authority Figure – Mr. Pinky, owner of Mr. Pinky’s Hefty Hideaway who gives Tracy and Edna a makeover; Principal of Patterson Park High School; and Mr. Harriman F. Spritzer, the President of Ultra Clutch
How to Apply:
Call 586.268.8400 to schedule your audition.