A Michigan Creative Film Alliance Production
Downriver is the third short film produced by the Michigan Creative Film Alliance, a joint venture between the film/production programs at Michigan’s three major public universities–Michigan State University, University of Michigan and Wayne State University. The project is being undertaken under the SAG Short Film Agreement (both union and non-union actors are eligible to audition). Principal photography will take place within a 15-day shooting schedule commencing the end of July/ early August.
Downriver is a narrative short comedy about a young man named Alex who is suddenly removed from his posh suburban lifestyle and tossed into the deep end. In the wake of his father’s death, Alex must move in with his estranged half-sister and learn to adapt to life much different from the one to which he is accustomed.
Casting Call Details: (Appointment Only)
Saturday, June 30, 2012 from 3:00pm to 8:00pm
Sunday, July 01, 2012 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Saturday, July 07, 2012 from 3:00pm to 8:00pm
Sunday, July 08, 2012 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm
The Actors Loft
919 S. Main Street
Royal Oak MI, 48067
- Alex: (Male, 14 -17) Average/Athletic build. Razor sharp wit and keen intelligence. Grew up upper-middle class in suburbia and it shows. Has learned to repress his anger and follow the rules to fit in. Deals with uncomfortable situations with his humorous outrages. Struggles to find ways to relax and let loose. Must be able to swim. Has a fight with Jack Custer
- Crystal: (Female, 22-30) Alex’s older half-sister. Grew up in upper -middle class suburbia but now happily calls a blue-collar/rural area her home. Strong spirited, motherly, and protective but not overbearing. Tough as nails yet tender with her family.
- Darryl: (Male, 25-38) Crystal’s boyfriend. A good-ole-boy, good- natured goofball with an initial air of masculinity that’s all for show. Loves and loved by all. Great with kids, especially Colton. Comic relief.
- Colton: (Male, 6- 11) A rambunctious hellion with a bit of a mouth. He respects and loves his mother dearly, and loves the freedom that she gives him. He never sits still and is always at play, but when Alex moves into his room and bunks beneath him, he gets a little protective of his turf.
- Kylee: (Female, 14-17) Colton’s babysitter, and Darryl’s sister. She’s close to the family, and there’s an immediate spark between her and Alex when he moves in. She’s mature and sure of herself. Attractive in a bit of a rough way, but she comes with a past; An ex-boyfriend who doesn’t like that someone else is moving in on his old turf.
- Jack Custer: (Male, 15-19) Physically fit, but not very tall– Aggressive and confrontational when backed by friends, somewhat insecure when alone. Struggles to prove himself to his father. Comes from very poor conditions. Has a fight with Alex.
- Joe Custer: (Male, 40-70) Father of Jack Custer. May seem stereotypically “country” at first glance, but very intelligent, thoughtful, and fair. He is a stern disciplinarian. Doesn’t mind having a little fun, or teaching his son some hard lessons.
- Sam: (Male, 45-60) Crystal and Alex’s father. Upper-middle class widower and single parent. He shares a dysfunctional relationship with both of his children. Withholding, stern, and uninvolved. Unaware of his own personal relationships as he watches them dissolve.
- Stephen Meskiewicz: (Male, 40-60) The Family Lawyer. Exhausted and bored by his law practice. He trudges through the official process that goes along with a sudden death. This is a great opportunity for a subtle character actor to provide comic relief through the serious bits.
- Pastor Bill: (Male, 30-40) A refined, though still novice, pastor who is patient and caring to his flock. This patience is tested when he is rudely interrupted during a funeral.
- Coach: (Male, 25-60) Alex’s swimming coach, and the encouraging father he never had. Unfortunately, he has to bear the bad news when Alex’s father suddenly has a heart attack while off on business during one of Alex’s meets.
- Chuck: (Male, 15-18) Chuck is the second in command of Jack’s gang. He is bigger than Jack and is always looking for way to challenge Jack’s leadership.
- John Deere Guy: (Male 30-60) A scruffy looking bar regular. He enjoys spending more time at the bar than at home. He’s friendly and very engaging with the other bar patrons, but when liquored up he gets a bit too talkative.
These are not paid roles. Actors will receive a credit and food and drinks while on set.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying, please email your resume and headshots (please no more than 4) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Please include “Talent Submission – (your last name)” in the subject line of your email. In the message text, please include what roles you would like to try out for and any questions you may have. Auditions are based on appointments and sides will be given out when the appointment are made.