University of Michigan Student Film
“The Leaders and the Rest” is an independent-study University of Michigan student film to be shot from mid-October to early November.
Pauline, a liberal student activist on the U of M campus in 1934, comes into conflict with an all-male campus leadership society…and Jerry Ford, her love interest, is the main one opposing her efforts.
Saturday, September 29th from 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Sunday, September 30th from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
U of M Campus - ISS Media Center Demo Room (on the second floor of the Modern Languages Building)
812 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI
- Pauline: (18-24 to play 21) Our protagonist; in almost every scene. Quirky, flirtatious, a student activist.
- Jerry: (18-24 to play 21) Must be blond or willing to dye hair. Good-looking, tall, square-jawed, the All-American boy…and will grow up to be President Gerald Ford. He’s attracted to Pauline but doesn’t think they’ll ever be together.
- Charlotte: (20-25 to play 22) A Paris from Gilmore Girls-type. Opinionated, ambitious, elegant.
- Arthur: (16-22 to play 18) A Joseph Gordon-Levitt-type, he is a fast-talking editor on the student newspaper and Pauline’s wingman.
- Willis: (18-24 to play 21) African-American, tall, and good-looking. Well-respected around campus. Jerry’s best friend and sees what’s going on with Pauline better than Jerry does.
- Carl: (18-24 to play 21) A clean-cut student leader. He is a reasonable presence in the student-leadership society, but can be dramatic and grandstanding when he wants to be.
- Jack: (18-24 to play 21) The editor-in-chief of the school paper. Incisive and intelligent.
- William: (20-25 to play 22) The president of the liberal National Student League. Conniving and a little sleazy, although deep down he does believe in the same ideas as the rest of his group (including Charlotte and Pauline).
- Sphinxes: (18-24 to play 21) The best and the brightest juniors on campus. They have all been selected for the student-leadership society. Some of them are a little rowdy and they all have a very “bro”-like way of joking with each other, but they ultimately mean well.
- National Student League Members: (various ages 18-25) Opinionated, controversial liberal activists on campus. (Mainly looking for men for these roles but will consider women.)
There is no compensation for these roles; however, reasonable on-set expenses such as food will be covered.
How to Apply:
To set up an audition time and receive sides in advance, please email your headshot and resume to: email@example.com
NOTE: Walk-ins are also welcome.