The film industry event Michigan has been waiting for…
Michigan Movie Networking Event
Linking talent and resources together for Michigan movies.
Since the 2008 passage of the Michigan film tax credits, there’s never been an opportunity like the Michigan Movie Networking Event. The event will bring together industry professionals from throughout the Midwest to network, discuss and learn about the opportunities the Michigan film industry has to offer.
Special attempts have been made to bring both investors and distributors to this important first-of-its-kind event. Investors are looking for opportunities to benefit from the film industry in Michigan and distributors are looking for production houses with a catalog of movie products.
“There’s never been anything like this. This is an opportunity for everyone – from someone with an idea for a movie or an actress, to a bank with money to lend for a project – to come together, exchange cards and portfolios, network and get ideas off the ground,” said Alex Greene, Emmy- and Telly-award winning Creator of the children’s TV program “My Bedbugs” and Executive Producer of Greenestuff Productions, one of the
“This area has needed this event,” said Lew Smith, chief operating officer of Vanir Entertainment, Inc., partners with the Crofoot on the Michigan Movie Networking Event. “People have been so desperate to connect with others. This is a chance to get everyone in the room at the same time and on the same page – to grow the film industry in this state.” Smith said that from early promotion of the event, he’s already received commitments from people as far away as Traverse City, Chicago and Grand Rapids who plan to attend. Professionals from across four states have been invited. He added the Michigan Movie
Networking Event is modeled after events of this type in Los Angeles, New York and Nashville.
Dan McGowan, General Manager of the Crofoot, said, “This is one of those cleaneverything-else-from-your-calendar events. It’s a chance to bring a hundred business cards and come back with a hundred business cards from people you might never have met otherwise.”
The Michigan Movie Networking Event is hosted by Vanir Entertainment, a Rochester Hills-based multi-media entertainment company, and the Crofoot. Vanir kicks off its contributions to the Michigan film industry in April with the debut of the “Michigan Marquee” TV show on WTVS, Detroit’s Public Television station. The weekly, half-hour “Michigan Marquee” will feature interviews with industry insiders and up-to-date reports on film projects across the state.
Tickets for the Michigan Film Networking Event are $20 at the door. Those interested in displaying at the event should contact Lew Smith at (586) 615-3504 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When: Saturday, April 4, noon to 6 p.m.
- Where: Crofoot, 1 S. Saginaw, Pontiac, MI (admission limited to the first 1,100)
- Starring: A special Michigan-based Hollywood guest star, to be announced, Representatives from the Michigan Film Office, Representatives from Michigan-based production houses Greenestuff, Productions and Orlando Entertainment, and others
- Invited: Anyone interested in the film industry in Michigan – producers, investors, directors, stagehands, screenwriters, distributors, actors, actresses. Invitations have been sent to professionals from throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and elsewhere.
- What to Bring: Portfolios, resumes, video clips and plenty of business cards
- Also: Exhibit area will feature products and services from a variety of businesses involved in Michigan movies.
- Cost: $20 at the door